Educator. Entrepreneur. Mother. Community activist. Caregiver. Daughter. Catalyst for change. Champion of equity, diversity and inclusion. Partner. Problem Solver. Expert in public policy and how governments work.
Many hats and a big toolkit to put to use as the next Mayor of Port Hope.
A love of Port Hope
- I love Port Hope. From the time I was a young child growing up in rural Grafton, I have felt a special connection to this place.
- I have travelled and worked around the globe, but I choose Port Hope as my forever home and community. I believe it has so much potential. Our people, heritage and lands are incredible assets!
- I know what it is like to start and run a business in this community. I started Northumberland Goods and Services with my partner Giorgi, an online delivery service to support local vendors to weather COVID-19, which continues as a successful business today. I helped spearhead the start of Café Lviv, a new local restaurant that brings together local producers and creators.
- I know what it is like to be a caregiver in this community. I am the primary caregiver of my two parents 92 and 86 who live with me, one of whom has Alzheimer’s.
- I know how to harness the community strengths in this community. I established and organized Northumberland for Ukraine Families (N4UF). With over 100 local volunteers we have spearheaded the settlement and support of 30 Ukrainian families fleeing war-torn Ukraine, the majority in Port Hope. This experience helped me to know the key issues in the community from transportation, housing, municipal services, fundraising, education, childcare, health and well-being.
Olena’s Background and Experience
- 25 years experience establishing, funding and leading multi-million dollar, partnerships among businesses, social organizations and educational institutions.
- Proven track record working with local, national and international governments and organizations to develop economic, social and health policies that are evidence-informed, inclusive and cost efficient.
- Studied at the Universities of Toronto, Western, British Columbia. Professor, School of Public Policy, Simon Fraser University, a position in which I have solved complex policy problems for all levels of government in Canada.
Olena has the unique skills to bring together diverse views and perspectives. She knows how to inspire community-informed action and solutions. Olena will effectively represent Port Hope, whether on the county, provincial, national or international stage.